As the weather gets warmer, many people hire contractors to work on their homes. While most contractors are reputable, some are not. Here are some clues that you are being subject to a home repair rip-off:
- The contractor pressures you to sign the contract or suggests that you not get other bids.
- The contractor’s card and paperwork have only a post office box and no street address.
- The contractor stalls when you ask him or her for information about insurance, licenses, or bonding.
- The contractor’s bid is much lower than any other bids.
- The contractor pressures you for a large down payment or to pay in cash.
The best plan to prevent being ripped off is to get multiple bids and ask around to find a reputable contractor who has worked in your area for a long time.