Having our house burn down is a nightmare we all want to avoid. Know these danger areas to maximize your chances of avoiding this disaster.
Cooktop or stove: About 40% of fires start in the kitchen. Never leave cooking food unattended, and keep towels and pot holders a safe distance away. Clean them regularly to prevent a buildup of flammable material and grease fires.
Wiring: Shorts caused by bad wiring are another common source of fires. Make sure your wiring is installed by a licensed professional, and be aware of warning signs like frequent blown fuses and shocks when touching a switch.
Dryer: Lint buildup inside the dryer and ducts can catch fire. To prevent buildup, clean your lint trap every time you use the dryer, and regularly clear out any lint that makes its way into the ducts.
Fireplace: A fire is nice on a cold day, but it can give off sparks. Also, buildup on the chimney walls can catch fire. Keep the screen closed when using the fireplace, and have the chimney swept regularly for debris and or dead animals.
Candles: Candlelight can be romantic, but it can also be dangerous. If you use candles, keep them away from curtains, lamp shades, and other flammable materials, and never leave them unattended.
Grills: Gas grills can leak, and all grills give off a lot of heat. Inspect your gas grill regularly to make sure it is not leaking, do not keep it in an enclosed area (like a porch or garage), and make sure all grills are at least 10 feet away from walls and are not under an over head obstruction.