(866) I-SUE-YOU (478-3968)
(866) BAD RXRX   (223-7979)
(844) 411-KING     (411-5464)
(844) TEX INFO     (839-4636)
(954) 227-7529
(954) 998-0075 Text
(954) 227-1243 Fax

Steps to Take After a Workplace Injury or Occupational Illness

Workplace Injury

Steps to Take After a Workplace Injury
or Occupational Illness

The Florida Workers’ Compensation law mandates that most employers carry workers’ compensation insurance to protect their employees. If injuries are suffered on the job, a person may be entitled to Florida Workers’ Compensation benefits which typically provide for lost wages and or medical expenses.

While you might have heard about the Florida Workers’ Compensation system, how does one actually claim benefits? Coral Springs Workers’ Compensation attorney Evan M. Ostfeld, Esq. has decades of experience helping people all over the state to recover the Florida Workers’ Compensation benefits that they deserve.

What You Should Do Following A Workplace Injury
Here are some important steps that an injured employee should take following an accident or illness that occurred in the workplace. Florida Workers’ Compensation law however requires that you take specific actions and adhere to imposed deadlines in order to receive benefits.

  1. Report Your Injury or Illness to Your Supervisor ASAP!

Time is not on your side. Make sure therefore that you notify your job about the injury or medical condition quickly after it happens. The law sets a notification deadline of 30 days following the incident or from the time you learn about your occupational illness. In practice however, immediate notification is the best strategy. If you fail to tell them right away, the case may be denied. Whenever possible write down a list of co-workers who may know about and or witnessed the accident.

  1. Fill Out a Workers’ Compensation Injury Report/Notice of Injury

Once you inform a boss of said event, try to get a copy of the injury report. If they refuse to do so or even to report the accident to their workers’ compensation insurance company, write up your own report,  sign, date and take a picture of it. Thereafter provide it to HR, upper management and or to the company’s owner. Notifying and recording are critical.

  1. Get Medical Treatment Right Away

Seek immediate care for the injuries. Even if you think they are minor, one should still go to a doctor. Taking this step ensures that there is a record of the event just in case the insurance company or the employer tries to deny the claim. If the job refuses to refer you to a physician, simply go to an emergency room. Just make sure that you tell them it’s a workers’ compensation accident and provide the employer’s information. Should the treatment be related to the accident, the employer’s worker’s compensation insurance company is likely to pay the bill.

  1. File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

Contact the job’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier. If they refuse to help, then report the claim and make a complaint against them to the State of Florida’s Division of Workers’ Compensation Employee Assistance Office at (800) 342-1741. Mind you that the accident must be filed no later than two years after your injury in order to try and recover Florida Workers’ Compensation benefits. That being said, the quicker that you act, he smoother the process will be.

  1. Hire a Workers’ Compensation Attorney

An experienced Florida Workers’ Compensation lawyer at The Law Offices of Evan M. Ostfeld can help you understand how to navigate thru the complexities of the system. Oftentimes, the employer and or their workers’ compensation insurance company will use tactics to delay, deny, defend and diminish the case. Evan and his legal team however strive to ensure that an injured worker receives all of the benefits that they deserve. Generally, the faster that you obtain representation, the better off you will be! Don’t believe us? Check out our many Google and AVVO reviews from satisfied clients.

Evan M. Ostfeld, Esquire has more than 29 years of experience fighting for the rights of injured workers and their families across the Sunshine State. Even if you’ve been injured elsewhere, we can help you secure representation. In fact, a no-obligation case evaluation is offered. Rest assured, there are no attorney’s fees or costs unless there is a settlement or court award. So contact us today at (866) I SUE YOU, (478-3968, (954) 227-7529, (954) 998-0075 Text or evan@attorney4life.com. We are here to help!

Related Posts